Saturday, July 30, 2011

I can see the finish line...unfortunately it's so far away

Well I haven't posted updates in a few weeks because I haven't been working on the guitar much at all.  I was out of town or busy the last few weekends and working a lot during the week days so I haven't felt like carving.  However, today I didn't have any commitments so I spent a long time working on the guitar.  By a long time, I mean like 6 hours straight...no breaks.  I was in the zone.  So here are some updated pics of the progress.  As far as I can tell, the main carving is now complete.  There will definitely be some touch-up work to be done, but I will do that along the way as I begin the sanding.  I know there are a couple of areas that don't look that great, but I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to be finished carving this thing and start playing it :)  I learned a lot about carving, and hopefully the next one will turn out even better.  But all-in-all, not to shabby for my first attempt.

There are two more things I want to do before I start sanding this bad boy.  First, I want to soften the border on the edge of the guitar with a radius so it is more comfortable to play and also so the edge won't chip.  Second, I want to increase the depth of some of the relieved flat areas on the carving.  I want to break up the low flat areas with curved surfaces so it flows a little better and has a more organic look.  I'm not looking forward to sanding this thing at all.  It's going to be a slow and messy process, and unfortunately since the guitar has the poly-coat on the uncarved areas, I'm going to have to sand the entire thing, not just the carved areas.

Ok now the good stuff:

Almost finished carving

No comments:

Post a Comment