Sunday, May 22, 2011

In the beginning...

So here's what's up....I'm creating this blog to document the progress on a new project I'm starting this weekend.  I want to take pictures along the way to show the progress and this is the perfect medium for tracking the project.  The goal is to carve up a guitar body with a design that I created with the help of a friend.  I came up with some concepts (which I'll post later) and I'll also post the final design.  My buddy is a better artist than me so I asked him to tweak the design and clean it up a little.  I think the final result is gonna be pretty sweet if I can pull it off.  That is a big "if".  I've never carved anything before...and this project is probably way more ambitious that I should be attempting.  I don't even have any carving tools except for a dremel tool.  I'm going to buy a beginner's carving gouge set by Pfiel (Swiss Made).  So as of today, I have a design (on paper) and a blank replica Fender Strat body that I will be carving.  I don't even know what kind of wood it is...I've had it for years.  I had planned on doing this project about four 5 or 6 years ago and just never got started.  So where did the idea to do this come from?  I came across a website several years ago and I thought the concept was awesome.  Custom carved designs into guitar bodies...I've really never seen anything like this in person.  Anyhow, here are some links:


This is the original carved guitar website that I found: http://www.carverdoug.com/guitars.html

Here is another one I found rececntly.  The Syrena guitar is my favorite:  http://www.divine-jones.com/

So that's the inspiration.  We'll see how it goes.  Oh yeah, and before I forget I just wanted to say that I don't have any grand delusions that my guitar is going to turn out even remotely like any of these.  

No comments:

Post a Comment