Sunday, August 21, 2011

Weekend of torture

Let me just start off by saying that my fingers are completely numb which is good because they are also raw from sandpaper rubbing on them all weekend.  I think I spent a total of about 11 hours this weekend sanding down the guitar, but finally I am pretty much done with all the sanding for now.  I used 150 grit sandpaper initially, and then went back over everything with the 240 grit, and finally 400 grit.  The surface is now really smooth to the touch and should really make the grain pop when I apply the Danish Oil finish.  I may hit it with 1000 grit before I apply the oil but I haven't decided yet.  It was a grueling weekend, but I'm really happy with the result.  I don't think I'll be taking on another project like this for a long time, but I know that every time I pick up the thing and play it, I'm going to really enjoy it.

Next up is finishing up the Rosewood inlay which hopefully I can do this week. Now the good stuff:
Finished with the 400 grit sanding
Started sanding the lower body
Finished sanding all the skin..still have hair to do
I will say, that when looking at the picture above where all the skin was finished and the hair had not been sanded yet, I kind of liked it with the hair unfinished.  I like the contrast between the smooth skin and the tool marks in the hair.  I ended up sanding down the entire thing, but I'm considering texturing the hair somehow so it stands out separate from the body.  Not sure what kind of texture or how I would make it, but I'm just thinking about it.

Working on the hair
Closeup so you can see how smooth it gets

No comments:

Post a Comment